Sunday, April 5, 2009

April Fool's Day

This activity was my last one and I really wanted to go out with a bang! Activity Days landed on April Fool's Day this year.

As the girls came in, some of them were talking about April Fool's Day and I made sure to mention that I didn't know it was April Fool's Day. (Yes, a fib, I'm awful!)

When it was time to start, I talked to the girls about how I was sad that I was being released and that I wanted to make sure that they got lots of stuff passed off in their Faith in God books before I left. So, I brought out all 13 Articles of Faith posters from the primary closet and said that we were going to learn ALL of them that night. I pretended to be really excited about it and asked the girls if they were excited too. They were NOT pleased. LOL! I asked for a show of hands who wanted to do it and one little girl sortof raised her hand half-way (bless her!). I asked them if they were sure they didn't want to learn them all that night and they said yes they were sure. I pretended to be really surprised and then yelled "April Fool's!" You should have seen the looks on their faces!

Then I moved on to the "test". On a sheet of paper were these directions:

DIRECTIONS: This is a timed test. You will be allowed only two minutes to complete it, therefore you must work quickly. Record your responses on this sheet of paper.

1. Read everything before you do anything.
2. Print your name in the upper right corner of your paper.
3. Draw two squares in the lower left corner.
4. Place an "x" in one square and an "o" in the other.
5. Write your grade level in the lower right corner.
6. Print today's date under your name.
7. Draw three circles in the upper left corner of your paper.
8. Divide each circle in half by drawing a line through the center horizontally.
9. Sign your name in the lower right corner.
10. Draw a circle around your signature.
11. Write your birthday under your signature.
12. Now that you have finished reading everythign, do only as directed in the first sentence.

"APRIL FOOLS!!"

There was only one girl who completely read through the directions before following them.
Another girl "got bored" and didn't even finish reading them. She was certainly surprised when I told her how it ended!

Then we talked about the origins of April Fool's Day and the traditional pranks played on that day. We also talked about how it is celebrated in other countries.

When it came time for the treat, I told the girls that I wasn't sure if I picked a good treat because I'm pregnant and I've been craving weird stuff. I pulled out a tray of what looked an awful lot like sushi!!



They were simply gummy worms rolled in rice crispy treat and then wrapped in fruit leather. I chose green apple, strawberry and grape fruit leather to best look like sushi wraps. The girls were completely fooled. When they figured out what they really were, they ate the whole pan!

No comments: